Early Entrance to Kindergarten
The first year for primary school for DCPS begins with students who turn
age 5 on or before August 1 for the 2020-21 school year. In accordance
with KRS 158.031(6), DCPS has established criteria for early entrance into
kindergarten, for students who have mastered early childhood benchmarks
before age 5. Students who turn 5 years old between August 2 and
October 1 will be eligible to enroll provided that the student meets criteria
established by the Daviess County Board of Education. The deadline to
submit the Petition for Early Entrance to Kindergarten is March 31, 2020.
After the March 31, 2020 deadline, there will not be any opportunities to
petition the district for Early Entrance to kindergarten for the 2020-21 school year.
Criteria for Early Entrance
- Child must be a resident of Daviess County, Kentucky; and
- Child must turn 5 between August 2 and October 1 of the admission
- Child must meet the qualifications on the BRIGANCE Screening in the
three assessment areas: core assessments, self-help, and social-
Early Entrance to Kindergarten Petition Process
- Parents will complete the early entrance to kindergarten application available
beginning March 1,2020- March 31,2020 by clicking here
or by picking one up at our reception desk.
- Parents will be contacted via phone to set up a screening time
- The student will be assessed by certified DCPS Staff on May 8th, 2020
- Applications will not be accepted after March 31, 2020
- Parents will be notified of their child's screening results by June 1, 2020
If you have additional questions about the petition process, please contact
Jana Beth Francis, Assistant Superintendent of Teaching and Learning at 270-852-7000.