Applying for the Preschool Program:
Open Registration for the 2017-18 school year has expired, however, we continue to accept applications and make placements throughout the school year. We welcome your application. Please stop by the elementary school closest to your home between 8:00 am and 2:00 pm to fill out a preschool application or you may download an application from the department homepage and mail the application to:
Daviess County Public Schools
1622 Southeastern Parkway
Owensboro, KY 42303
Daviess County Public Schools Preschool is available to:
- Due to a Kentucky Revise Statute change, preschool is avaibable to children who turn four years old on or before August 1st, 2018 and meet income requirements or have a delay or disability.
- Children who turn three years old by August 1st and have a delay or disability or meet Head Start requirements.
- Fee-based preschool programs are available at Audubon Elementary, F.T. Burns Elementary, Country Heights Elementary, Deer Park, Highland Elementary, Sorgho Elementary, Southern Oaks Elementary, Tamarack, West Louisville Elementary, and Whitesville Elementary.
Fee Based Preschool Program
DCPS preschool offers both KERA eligibility program and the Fee Based program to preschool age children living in the DCPS district. Regardless of which program children are involved in, they are in a blended classroom setting. They learn a great deal socially and academically from each other. Positive interactions take place within the classroom and learning to develop relationships is crucial to all students.
- In order to be eligible for the fee based preschool program, your child must be three years or four years old by August 1st of the current school year. We cannot accept two year olds into the program. If an opening becomes available and the child has turned three, they can enter the program.
Fee Based Costs:
A charge of $175.00 per month for 10 months is payable on or before the 10th of each month. August thru May. You will be billed monthly.
If you have additional questions about the DCPS Fee Based Program please contact us.
The Screening Process:
- When filling out the application there is a place to check if you suspect your child may have a disability or special need and would like them screened in one or more of the following areas: social, cognitive, motor, and speech. It is very important that you describe what your concern is. Complete the application and return it to:
1622 Southeastern Parkway
Owensboro, KY 42303
(270) 852-7000 ext. 254
- After receiving your application, the District office will mail out the Ages and Stages Questionire 3.
- If the child fails screening, they are scheduled at the school for a more formal screening in the concerned area with the use of Dial 4 or Ages & Stages Social Emotional screener.
- If the child fails the screening in social, he/she must complete interventions in the home setting and attend two (2) RTI (Response to Intervention) playgroup sessions.
- If the child fails the screening in cognitive, self-help, or motor, interventions must also be completed in the home setting. Children must attend two (2) playgroup sessions and complete their homework of sixteen (16) daily activities to move forward in the RTI process.
- All speech concerns and referrals are sent directly to the school speech pathologist. The speech pathologist will contact the parent and set up a screening
- Screenings are scheduled as needed year round.
- All formal screenings are held at the child's home school and take up to one hour to complete. At the screening we look at Social, self-help skills (a questionnaire completed by the parent), cognitive, motor speech and hearing. If any of the areas that we screen show potential concerns, we continue with a referral and set up a time for a complete evaluation.
- After the evaluation is complete, you will know if your child qualifies for the preschool program due to a delay.
- A meeting will be scheduled to review the evaluation results. If your child qualifies for the preschool program an Individual Education Plan will be written.
- For more information please see the Daviess County Preschool Response to Intervention Process posetd on the departemnts home page.
The following are the required documents your child will need prior to attending preschool:
- Copy of Birth Certificate
- Copy of Social Security Card
- Physical Examination Form
- Immunization Certificate
- Vision Examination by an eye doctor
All immunizations must be up to date.
If your child will be attending the Head Start Program the following documents will be required in addition to the documents listed above:
- Proof of Income
- LEAD Testing